Join us in the Metro Pittsburgh area for the Pittsburgh Spring Challenge! This event is hosted at hotels and facilities surrounding the Metro Pittsburgh area. Allowing easy access to Steel City and all it offers! The perfect location to kick off the Spring/Summer tournament season.
Who: 10' to 16' birth years
When: May 10th-12th, 2024
Where: Alpah Ice Complex and Mt Lebanon Arena
- 4 game guarantee plus playoffs for eligible teams
- Teams can play a maximum of 6 games for the weekend.
- 13-13-13 min periods
- Champion or Finalist medals for each player in finals
- Championship or Finalist Tournament banner for team in finals
- Name: Aaron Huffnagle
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 609-502-4932
This is a Stay To Play (STP) event. All participating teams/individuals that live outside of an hour are considered travel participants and must follow the event STP policy unless otherwise approved by the event director. Should a team/individual decide that they do not want to stay in our approved hotels there is an opt-out fee.
For information or questions regarding hotel bookings - please contact Team Travel Source at email@example.com.
Alpha Ice Complex66 Alpha Dr W
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Mt Lebanon Ice Rink900 Cedar Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15228
Pittsburgh Spring Challenge
NO TOURNAMENT OFFICIAL has the right to change a score sheet or reverse a call from a referee. Once the game is over the score sheet is FINAL.
- Body (Checking) contact will only be allowed at 2009 and 2010 birth years only.
- Minor penalties - 2 minutes / Major penalties - 5 minutes
- Game misconduct - Player will be ejected for the remainder of that game plus his next scheduled game.
- Running time will be in effect at the start of the 3rd period, only when a team is winning by 5 goals. Stop time will resume once the score is within 2 goals. Example: 5-0 then 5-3
- No timeouts are permitted in preliminary rounds.
- Players and coaches should report to the arena at least 30 minutes prior to each game.
- Please adhere to the COVID Policies put in place by both RMU and Bairel Ice arenas.
- Players can not play down a birth year but can play up. **With the exception of an injured goalie. See rule below.
- Players can only play on 1 team in a division. Example: a 2012 can play on team A in the 2012 Division but also can play on team B in the 2011 division, but can not play on team A in 2012 and Team B 2012 division.
- A maximum of four team officials may be on the player's bench at one time.
- Should a goaltender get hurt and can not play due to injury that team may look for another goalie to replace them if they only have one listed on the roster. This MUST be approved by the tournament director. The goalie can not be from above the age bracket of the team.
- Only players on the roster at the start of the tournament (game 1) may be able to play on the team. With the exception of the goalie. *See goalie rules.
- A player must play 1 round robin game in order to be eligible for the playoffs.
- The home team will wear white jerseys and visitors wear dark.
- The tournament director has the right to interpret these rules in the best interest of the tournament.
- All divisions will be scored 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, and 0 points for a loss.
- Any forfeited games will be recorded as a 3-0 score. Any forfeited games affecting another team's playoff status, may be reviewed by the tournament director to determine which teams advance beyond preliminary round play. Use of ineligible players will disqualify a team from the tournament.
- All games played by a disqualified team will be forfeited. No monies will be refunded.
- Scores will be posted with a goal differential no greater than 7 as standard for all Play Hockey Tournaments. EXAMPLE: a 10-0 game goes in as 7-0.
- All divisions will get a 3 minute warm-up.
- All divisions will play 3-13 min minute stopped time periods.
- No overtime will be played in preliminary rounds.
Please refer to the tournament scoreboards or speak to a tournament official in order to determine the playoff format for each division. It is incumbent upon the team officials to confirm with a Tournament representative whether or not their team has advanced beyond preliminary round play prior to leaving the arena following their final preliminary round game.
- One 30-second timeout is permitted in playoffs.
In the event a Semi or Final game should end in a tie, the tie will be broken in the following manner:
- Overtime will be played during Semi, and Final games only.
- 5 minute run time sudden death (4 on 4)
- 3 player shootout.
- Sudden death shootout (both teams get to shoot each round).
- For Shootouts the home team has a choice of who shoots first.
- After the first 3 players from each team shoot if teams are still tied you can repeat any shooter as many times you would like.
To determine teams advancing to the playoffs. If more than 2 teams are tied, as soon as the tie is broken, the tie breaker scenario is restarted at the top and reapplied to any remaining ties:
- Total Team Points
- Head to Head (two team tie breaker only) - If there are more than 2 teams tied this tiebreaker is skipped.
- Goal Quotient = Goals for / (Goals For + Goals against)
- Least Goals Allowed
- Goals For
- Quickest Goal in the tournament in the first game
A zero tolerance for verbal abuse is in effect and will be enforced for all team officials, players, and spectators.
Appropriate penalties will be assessed for disputing or arguing a decision of the officials, any visual demonstration of dissatisfaction, or for the use of obscene or vulgar language to anyone at any time during the tournament.
Participants for our Prime teams (tours & tournaments) and other individual entry events are selected by our coaches and staff. In most cases, players are scouted in person and invited to participate in our programs. We also use feedback from our Spring coaches to determine player invitations for the following Spring/Summer. If you would like your child to be considered, please fill out the Inquiry form.
For some events, we are able to accept “free agents'' and place an individual on a Participating Team’s roster. Please reach out to the Tournament Director for the event you’re interested in to see if there is an open spot! Their contact information can be found directly on the Tournament Details page.