Join the Early Trailblazer, a hockey tournament open to male and female players. Taking place in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, this is a great opportunity to showcase your skills on the ice and compete against other talented players. Register today!
Boys AA (AA & Lower Level AAA Teams)
Boys 16U (06 and 07 Birth Years)
8U ('14/'15), 10U ('12/'13), 12U ('10/'11),
14U ('08/'09), 16U ('06/'07)
- 4 game guarantee (some teams may play 5)
- (3) 15 minute stop-time periods
- Individual Awards for 1st, 2nd, place
- Slapshots at all levels
- Checking at 2008 and older
- No gate fees
- Website with schedules and results
- Dedicated Tournament Information Table at Every Arena
- EMT's at Every Arena
NEW! Upgrade Your Experience: Supercharge Your Registration Now!
We are excited to offer an add-on premium experience as part of your registration. Click the link to learn more about how you and your team can make the most of your event experience.
*Select as an add-on during registration.
- Name: Dan Iannazzo
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (763) 225-7320
All visiting teams are required to stay at one of the sponsoring hotels!
For room blocks & booking help, please contact:
Lisa & Carey 952-221-1870
Plymouth Ice Arena3650 Plymouth Blvd
Plymouth, MN 55446
Richfield Ice Arena636 E 66th St
Richfield, MN 55423
Rogers Activity Center21080 141st Ave N
Rogers, MN 55374
Schwan "Super Rink"1850 105th Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55449
Midwest Hockey Tournament Rules and Regulations
- 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 1 extra point awarded for a win with a shutout
- Four minute warm up
- Three 15 minute stop time periods
- Running time will prevail if there is a six goal difference at any time during the game
- Each team is allowed one timeout per game (one minute)
- No overtime in pool play
- Overtime will be used in Championship Round only
- No rest period, teams will not change ends
- Five minute running time period – 4 on 4
- If still tied 3 player shootout – visiting team shoots first
- Penalties assessed in regulation will carry over to overtime
- At no time will a team have fewer than three skaters during overtime
- The team listed first will be the home team and first choice of jersey color
- A maximum of 20 players may be rostered. Players may not be rostered on more than one team unless an exception has been approved by the MHP staff.
- If a player is double rostered without MHP approval, each game the player plays in will result in a forfeit for the team they are playing with. Goalie exception – if a team is without a goalie due to injury, an alternate goalie may be used with tournament approval
- All players are required to have a birth certificate on file.
- All players must have a signed waiver on file prior to playing any game
- Please check your team in a minimum of 45 minutes prior to your first game
- All teams must be paid in full prior to the first game of the tournament
- Penalties - Minor (two minutes) Major (five minutes) Misconduct (10 minutes)
- Any Fighting penalty will result in tournament disqualification
- Any player receiving four penalties in one game will be asked to leave the game
- Coaches are directed to tournament officials if game conflict exists. Under no circumstances are coaches allowed to talk to referees after the game to challenge a ruling or game outcome.
- Players CAN ice the puck when shorthanded and it will NOT result in a whistle
- A clock operator/announcer will be present for each game
- There will be a trainer on-site during the tournament
- Tournament apparel will be available for sale throughout the Tournament
- Checking allowed in boys 2008 and older
- Slapshots permitted at all levels
- Tag up for off-sides will be used for boys and 2012 and older and U10 girls and older
- Tournament officials have final decision-making authority for all game related situations
- There can be occasions that a player plays down a level if that player is approved by MHP and MHP has verified the players skill level is appropriate for that age level.
- Head-to-head competition, if still tied the following in progression.
- Fewest goals allowed in all games.
- Goals Scored
- Goal differential, 7 maximum per game, plus or minus.
- Coin toss by tournament directors. Coin toss to be called by coach winning rock, paper, and scissors!
***in the event of a 3-way tie head to head becomes an obsolete variable
Things To Do
Professional SportsNo matter the season, you can catch a game at some of the top sports venues in America. Watch the Minnesota Wild (NHL), Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB). Timberwolves (NBA), Lynx (WNBA), or United FC (MLS) while you're in town!See More
Mall of AmericaMall of America is a leader in retail, entertainment and attractions, and is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. Attractions range from shopping, roller coasters and Sea Life!See More
Minnesota ZooInnovative exhibits are spread over six themed areas, including three beautiful walking trails ranging from one to two miles in length.See More
Valley FairVisit Upper Midwest's largest amusement park, offering a day of family fun for coaster riders and young visitors alike.See More
Standings and Stats
2023 GIRLS' BIRTH YEARS
- 8U = 2014 and 2015 Birth Years
- 10U = 2012 and 2013 Birth Years
- 12U = 2010 and 2011 Birth Years
- 14U = 2008 and 2009 Birth Years
- 16U = 2006 and 2007 Birth Years
Carmo Photography is heading to Minneapolis to provide you with premier professional photography services at this year’s PlayHockey Trailblazer Tournament, April 14th-17th, 2023. Our photographers will be capturing the action of most of the games at the Super Rink Ice Center where we will also have a sales table set up in the main lobby with specialty Action Photo prints, posters, and digital images.
Our most popular item is the Digital Action Photo Team Deal for $370.00
With this deal, we will photograph at least 3 of your games and your team will receive hundreds of high-resolution action shots on a 32gb flash drive with all your full-size images. You can choose our Digital Download option instead of the flash drive and we will upload all your images online the week after the tournament’s completion and send you a link where you can view/download all your team’s photographs and share them with whomever you choose.
Go together as a team for photos to get the most out of your tournament experience!
Pre-registering and paying online is the only way to ensure that we will focus on your team. We will be photographing the majority (but not all) of the games at the Super Rink Ice Center, rinks 1-4. We will also be photographing limited games on rinks 5-8. If you pre-register, we will make sure your team is photographed at least three times no matter what rink you play on. If you pre-register and do not play 3 games on rinks 1-4, don’t worry, we will schedule a photographer for your games. Teams that purchase the Team Deal will also enjoy additional discounts on prints at the tournament.
If your team does not pre-register, there is no guarantee that they will get photographed multiple times.
PRE-REGISTRATION FOR TOURNAMENT PHOTOS CLOSES ON Wednesday, April 12th at 5pm. We cannot guarantee acceptance of teams after the 5:00pm deadline. Visit us online here: